Friday, May 18, 2012

Wonderful Suprise!

Hippeastrum 'Apple Blossom'

We bought amaryllis bulbs at Christmas time for several years. I tried to get them to bloom indoors during the holidays but I was never very satisfied with the results because we just don't have enough light. They always grew tall and fell over. I followed the instructions for keeping them and getting them to flower again but usually with the same results.

This past December I just didn't bring them all in from the cellar but when spring came and I went to get the dahlia's that I had stored I decided to plant the amaryllis bulbs for the summer to feed the bulb with the intention of trying again this winter instead of pitching them on the compost pile.  Much to my surprise they started to send up flower stalks.


There are going to be several more of the bulbs to blooms. The stems are much shorter and stronger in the garden than they ever were in the pots I used in the house. This may be the start of a new and better tradition with amaryllis in the garden. Only time will tell how the rest of them do but for now I am very happy with my decision to plant them in the hosta garden. If they all do well, next year I will plant them closer to the front of the border so they will be more visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment