Saturday, May 4, 2013

Iris in Bloom

Iris 'Joyful Skies'
 
 
Yesterday morning brought the first iris bloom for this year. Last year the late freeze we had caught this one full of buds. It was its first year to bloom and although it  bloomed but it was really a sad sight. So I was so pleased to see these blooms with their delicate light blue.
 
 
Iris 'Champagne Elegance'
 
 
Also blooming was an older variety that I moved to a new location last summer. It may be blooming a little earlier than usual since it is located in front of the rock wall.
 
There are still lots of iris to bloom many for the first time so I will be checking daily for the new ones to bloom. I bought some last year at an iris sale conducted by a club located in the town where my daughter lives. I took the members recommendations for ones to grow so there will be lots to enjoy this year.
 
 
Iris x hollandica
 
The dutch iris also stated to bloom this week. These are a favorite of my husband.  Because the foliage appears several weeks before they flower the tips of a lot of the leaves were nipped by the cold weather we had a couple of weeks ago which caused the brown tips on the foliage, but the buds were not in sight so their blooms will be lovely this year.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment