Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Red in the Garden



"If one says 'Red' – the name of color – and there are fifty people listening, it can be expected that there will be fifty reds in their minds. And one can be sure that all these reds will be very different." -- Josef Albers

H. 'Places in the Heart'




I have been drawn to red daylilies since I started to collect them a few years ago but it is very hard for me to describe the color. Reds can be so different.




H. 'Round Red Ruffles'  

Red is considered a warm color in landscape design. Its appearance in the garden has an energetic effect.


H. 'Sanford Code Red' 




When I first began gardening warm colors were always dismissed in favor of all the cool colors.
Age has changed my thinking since I find myself drawn more and more to the vibrant and warm colors.



H 'All American Chief'

Choosing red daylilies is the easy part for me. Choosing the best companions for them is much harder but is something that I want to accomplish as I continue to garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment